Monday 12 September 2016

Speaking Practice 5


MY EASYGOING LECTURER

S    : Ma’am could I have you time, please?
L    : Yes, What can I do for you?
S    : Could I discuss my lecture schedule?
L    : Sure, why not?
S    : Ma’am, This is my fifth semester here, and I just work in a big company. It is very difficult for me sometimes to ask permission. I work in the evening started from 2 am. to 9 pm almost everyday, from Monday to Sunday.
L    : That’s good for you.
S    : Yeah, that is good for me, but it means bad for my college.
L    : I’ll say.
S    : Is that possible  for not able to come to your class regularly? Surely, I will attend your class as I have time. In case I am working and can’t reach for your class, I will text you.
L    : Sounds not good.
S    : Yes, ma’am. Is that possible if I do some tasks regarding to my absences?
L    : Well, let me think about it. I will tell you as soon as I get the answer.
S    : Thanks ma’am. it is very nice of you.
L    : No need to mention that. Success for both your job and your study.
S    : You too, ma’am.

I.          Underline new words and discuss them either with your peer or lecturer.
II.        Underline some expressions of ‘asking permission’
III.      Underline some expressions of ‘giving sympathy/no sympathy’
IV.      Answer these questions well.
a.       Who are the speakers?
b.      How many years has the student studied in the University?
c.   What does ‘it’ mean in ”Well, let me think about it”?
d.      What does “I’ll say” mean?
e.      Do you think the lecturer will give the permission? Explain your reason!
V.        Practice the dialogue with your peer in turn.