Monday 12 September 2016

Speaking Practice 6


Thanking and Responding Thanking.

There are many ways to say thank you and to say gratitude. There are many ways to respond thank you. You're welcome has been very common to respond it. Somehow there are many ways to respond thank you as like: 

  1. You got it
  2. Don’t mention it
  3. No worries
  4. Not a problem
  5. My pleasure
  6. It was nothing
  7. I’m happy to help
  8. Not at all
  9. Sure
  10. Anytime
In this dialogue is an example of how people saying thankfulness and how to respond it.


YOU ARE MY BESTIE

Rina    : Hi Anna, you look awful. What is the matter?
Anna  : No….nothing
Rina    : Are you sure? Is there anything you want to share me? I am listening.
Anna  : This is a bit tough for me.
Rina    : Tough for you? About what? What is burdening you now?
Anna  : I think you know that next two days is  tuition dead line. I had the money yesterday, but when I  was about to pay it, my mother got sick. She got typhus, and she must be hospitalized.
Rina    : I am sorry to hear that, Anna. Is your mother at the hospital now?
Anna  : Yeah, she will go home as soon as she gets better, and I have no idea when it is. I have no idea how I  pay the tuition either.
Rina    : I wanted to help you, if you don’t mind. Just use mine. I have paid mine and I have a small amount of it. I think it is a half from the tuition. You just need to think the rest.
Anna  : Ooo Rina, I mind it. I don’t want to bother you.
Rina    : Anna, you are not bothering me. Contrarily, I am happy to help you.
Anna  : Alhamdulillah.
Rina    : I am sorry too if I just can lend you a half of the thorough number.
Anna  : No, It has been so much for me. It is very nice of you, Rina.
Rina    : No need to mention that, Anna. You are my bestie, aren’t you?
Anna  : No, you are my bestie. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate what you have done to me.
Rina    : My pleasure, Anna.

I.          Underline new words and discuss them either with your peer or lecturer.
II.        Underline some expressions of ‘thanking’ and ‘gratitude’.
III.      Underline expression(s) of ‘giving sympathy’
IV.      Answer these questions well.
a.       What is the connection between the two speakers?
b.      Find the synonym of:
Share   : …..
Tuition : …..
Tough  : …..
Bother : …..
Bestie  : …..
c.Would you like to do the same (lend a big amount of money to one of friends) if you were Rina?
V.        Practice the dialogue with your peer in turn.