Monday 12 September 2016

Speaking Practice 7


Could I Come by Your House?

Susi     : This lecture is not easy.
Niko   : What’s up, Susi? Are you talking about Speaking 1 lecture?
Susi     : Yeah. I can’t speak English well.
Niko   : No, I don’t think it is not you being unable to speak English. You are good.
Susi     : I won’t say. My English is not good. I am awful. Even my pronunciation is worse than the worst in this class.
Niko   : Don’t say that, Susi. Don’t over-judge yourself, please.
Susi     : I am not over-judging, Niko. It is the truth.
Niko   : No, of course not. Your English is good. I think you just need to practice your pronunciation more often.
Susi     : Do you think so?
Niko   : Yes, absolutely.
Susi     : How could I practice my English, then?
Niko   : I have some practice with my senior every Friday. She comes to my house and drills my pronunciation.
Susi     : That is great. Could I come by your house?
Niko   : Sure thing. Stay for one or two hours, so we can practice.  Frankly speaking, I need a company to practice. The senior is further smarter than me.
Susi     : With my pleasure, Niko. Thank you.
Niko   : No need to thank me; instead, you can thank the senior.
Susi     : Yeah, ok see you on Friday.
Niko   : See you too, Susi.

I.          Underline new words and discuss them either with your peer or lecturer.
II.        Underline some expressions of ‘thanking’ and ‘gratitude’.
III.      Underline some expressions of ‘ asking permission’
IV.      Practice the dialogue with your peer in turn.
V.        Complete these sentences based on your own situation.
a.       …………………………………… is not easy.
b.      I can’t …………………………………………
c.       Don’t ……………………………………………, please.
d.      I think ………………………………………………………………………
e.      Could I ……………………………………………….?